But on to today! I refinished our door knobs a few weeks ago and I am pleasantly surprised by them! They seem to be doing great. I do not have a ton of pictures, but I can give you a step by step..
- Knobs -ha!
- Sandpaper - medium grit
- Primer like this guy
- Rustoleum's Oil Rubbed Bronze Paint
- Block of Styrofoam is helpful -but not a must
1. Take off all hardware from the doors - Knobs, hinges, and plates
2. Clean hardware with a damp rag and dry.
3. Sand! Now this is slightly scary as when you start sanding you think you have ruined your handles. Have no fear! You have not ruined them. Keep sanding in all different directions until you have them roughed up pretty good.
4. Use the deglosser to clean off the sanded knobs and hardware
5. Wait until dry then apply thin even coats of primer. Apply in even sweeps. Your knobs should be white.
6. Let dry for 1-2 hours. I did this in the winter, it took time to dry. In the summer it may not take quite as long.
7. Apply an even coat of the bronze paint. Wait 20 minutes between coats. The first coat should look speckled and then the hardware will look more covered with each coat. I did about 4 coats. Make sure you get underneath the knobs as well!
8. Let sit for at least 12 hours before putting back on the doors.
A few helpful hints..
|Styrofoam is awesome - it cut my time in half because I could keep them all upright. a Cardboard box will also work!|
|Put a tarp or newspaper down - paint gets everywhere. I also wore gloves so I could hold the foam in different angles|
|Make sure you spray your screws too! These did not get sanded or primed - I just sprayed them|
|Hinges all done (don't you love the sippy cup top next to it!) Spray both sides. These take longer because you have to let one side dry completely before painting the other|
|All done! Such a difference!!|